Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vilnius - Days 159-160

My first day in Vilnius was grey and rainy, but yesterday and today were the absolute definition of "perfect weather." Plus, yesterday was the longest day/shortest night of the year and with the sun shining, you get a better idea of just how late the sun sets. It was well past 11pm when it actually got dark...and I'm pretty sure the sun is out again around 3am. Can't say I've ever seen it rise...maybe if I stayed out late one evening.

I had to switch hosts here in Vilnius because my first host went home for the holiday (Midsummer's Eve). So I went from a 18 year old university student to a 55 year old librarian with 5 children. I'm not kidding when I say there should be a movie made about this family. If you've ever seen "The Family Stone" (one of my favorite movies), this is somewhat a Lithuanian version of that family. All her five children are grown, but the youngest still lives at home and just finished high school, so she walked with me around town for the day. We stopped by a weapons store on the way so she could by a taser for her own upcoming trip :) She's basically bouncing from festival to festival throughout Europe and volunteering. And then in town, we met up with her older sister and her couchsurfer from Finland. The sister put in her resignation and has one week left of her job before traveling herself. Then later in the day, the oldest brother joined us for the evening. He had just come back from his second 6 month trip in Asia. The youngest brother is living in London and the other brother was in Poland watching the Euro games. The mother is the coolest of them all. Her two daughters got her involved with CS because she wanted to practice her English and lessons are too expensive, and now she's addicted, haha. Not only does she accept requests, but she sits in front of the computer looking for people who are traveling to Vilnius and invites them herself - thankfully that's how I came to stay here. She didn't start traveling until late in life because of financial and also border limitations, but she's sure making up for lost time. Her kids don't like traveling with her because they can't keep up, haha. She's out the door by 8am and pretty much goes nonstop until the evening. I hope I'm that cool when I'm her age. Today she showed me a CS profile of a 85 year old in Montreal and said she hopes to be that cool at 85.

Today I took a local bus out to Trakai - a short 30 minute ride. It was once the capital of Lithuania and a very historically significant site. There is a castle built on an island and also a small Karaim community. The Karaim have their origins in Turkey but were brought back to Lithuania by Duke Vytautas from Crimea in the 14th century. The Lithuanians love to talk about that part of their history because they were once the largest country in Europe and stretched all the way from Baltic to Black Sea. How things have changed...

It was a nice day trip - not only because of the well restored castle and museum, but it was nice to be out of the city and walk in nature along the lake shores on a perfect day. 70, sunny, dry, and breezy :) Riga tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. very nice telling of the family and characters, a fun and light-hearted blog entry. jw

    ReplyDelete