Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Riga - Days 161-162

I'm in rainy Riga, Latvia! It is absolutely stunning here. Vilnius really wasn't what I expected because it didn't have a compact or distinctive old town, and the city center and "old town" kind of blended together. However, Riga's old town fits the stereotype and the architecture is very unique. Due to its German and Soviet occupation, the city has a mix of old Soviet style buildings and also some amazing art nouveau buildings that will blow your mind. I'm talking about buildings so ornate/gaudy that you can't help but raise a brow.

I took a bus yesterday from Vilnius to Riga - about 4.5 hours. At this point, anything less than 7 hours is considered a short trip. And again, thanks to the generosity of the couchsurfing coummunity, I found a last minute host. I arrived in the afternoon but had to wait for my host to get off from work, so I basically walked around the old town whilst dodging the sporadic rain. Then I got tired of carrying my backpack around so I stepped into the Occupation Museum (appropriately housed in an ugly Soviet style building) and learned about the depressing Latvian history in the 1940s, which goes German, Soviet, German, and Soviet again.

My host, Agnese, drove us out to Jurmala after work yesterday; and Jurmala is a beach resort on the Baltic Sea (technically the bay) only about 25 minutes from Riga. She actually grew up there and knew the area well. We walked along the beach and then back through the town, and I completely forgot where I was. It seemed like a quaint little town South Carolina with its wooded parks and wooden houses. Okay, they were pine trees and not oak covered in moss...but you get the idea.

Today was more of walking around. I decided the brave the unstable weather and walk across the river to another district and back - wrong idea. I got caught in a downpour while I was ON the bridge and couldn't find cover. I ran to the other side into a shopping center, but was looking pretty pathetic.

Only less than a month left of the trip and I'm all heartbroken about it :( But it'll be good to see family and friends again! Plus my gear is falling apart. I had to throw away my jeans in Croatia because there were holes. My favorite black shirt is going to die a similar death as my favorite white shirt...but hanging in there for the moment. And my shoes have holes on the outside and two gigantic "craters" on the inside sole. I hope my one pair of pants and three shirts get me through the next month. Oh, and my day pack strap is coming loose... * sigh


2 comments:

  1. Tan Tan, glad your having an exciting trip, seeing so much. Stay safe, Ming & I look forward to seeing ya on your return.
    Jim L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riga is the gem of the Baltics.it is a multicultural city which means there are things to see there. Enjoy your time in Riga.Stay safe and looking forward to your return. WL

    ReplyDelete