Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Split - Days 140-141

Made it to Split - quick and painless. The bus ride took about 4.5 hours and hugged the Dalmatian coast the entire way. Unfortunately I've developed some sort of automatic reflex to being on buses and was asleep for about 80% of the ride despite my efforts to stay awake and appreciate the scenery.

I'm traveling north along the Croatian coast and plan to stop in a few cities and then Zagreb, the capital. Split is a really cool town with Roman influences and a beautiful old town as well. It is overshadowed by Dubrovnik, and for that reason, I might even like it a bit more. The city walls aren't as imposing so it seems as if the residential neighborhood naturally flows into the old city with its shops and restaurants. The streets and buildings are also less pristine, but that's what gives it character. And I'll take character over perfection any day.

My host is a Croatian guy named Mladen, and coincidentally, his roommate's name is also Mladen. So I'll be spending the next couple days here with Mladen squared. I have to say Mladen #2 is pretty darn good looking and at the moment I'm helping him pick out different outfits to bring on his vacation this weekend. And he's not shy about changing in front of people...


No comments:

Post a Comment