Saturday, June 30, 2012

Riga/Tallinn - Days 163-165

I discovered a free walking tour in Riga and decided to try it out on my last day there since my previous experiences in Sofia and Krakow were so positive. There are actually several organization who run these free tours in various cities and they are typically staffed by young volunteers and offer a more alternative experience from the typical historical city tour. And they work only fro tips so a few bucks should cover you. Plus they generally last anywhere from 2-3 hours - not a bad deal!

In Riga, the cool guide thankfully took us out of the old town and explored the "Moscow" neighborhood next door, which is a run down place with lots of history and homeless people. My host recommended it to me as a complete contrast to old town, so I was glad to walk through it with someone knowledgeable and who had lived there for a couple of years. That area also served as the Jewish Ghetto during WWII and now holds a monument dedicated to the "Latvian Oskar Schindler" - Janis Lipke. 

Later that evening I went out with my host Agnese and walked around Riga's biggest park and had some Latvian food for dinner, which is basically some kind of meat, potatoes, and salad combination. 

Now I'm in Tallinn, Estonia and arrived by bus (also around 4.5 hours from Riga) yesterday. I'm currently hosted by an American guy from Ohio, Bryan. He is a professional online poker player :) First one I've met in my life. He was also simultaneously hosting another Bryan, also an American from California who is on a bike tour of Estonia and had ridden around for a month already. 

So far in Tallinn it's been about meeting tons of new people. The first night I was here I cooked dinner for the boys (never thought I'd hear myself say that) and we went out to an Inter-Nations meet up, which is a community of expats. Then went to a salsa bar where Bryan #2 gave me a mini lesson. Then yesterday the three of us went out to grab brunch and then just sat in an outdoor cafe for a couple of hours soaking in the sun. I walked around old town by myself and then met up with them again at the weekly Tallinn CS meet up picnic. In my opinion, that was a much cooler crowd and we hung out until after 11pm and then moved the crowd to a local pub when it became too cold. That's an Estonian summer for you. When Bryan and I were walking back to the apartment at 2am, the sky was still not dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment