Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sibiu - Days 124-125

Apologies for being a bit behind on my blog - double entry for today.

I made my way from Sighisoara to Sibiu a couple of days ago but haven't really had computer internet access. Sibiu is the last of my three Transylvanian medieval cities and it was also a European Capital of Culture back in 2007. I didn't realize that meant anything until I arrived and discovered the non-stop events going on throughout the city. Plus I totally lucked out on location. My host has a tiny apartment that doubles as a nail salon right in the city center. I mean it is literally on the main square and about 15 steps from the hub of it all.

My first evening in Sibiu, Ovidiu (my host) and I attended a Mozart and Mendelssohn concert by the local Philharmonic. Cost a whopping $2. The next evening was a free, open air concert in the main town square by Loredana Groza, who is apparently the "Romanian Madonna." Perhaps the moniker wasn't derived from her level of fame but rather her age and chosen hair color. But she definitely had tons of energy and jumped around on stage for a good two hours. Then today began a weekend Baroque festival as well as a free museum night. During the day, I walked the town a bit more and attended a folk dancing show and mini concert. At night, all of the museums in town opened their doors to the public. At the moment, "free" is my favorite word, so I took advantage of all of them. First was the art museum, followed by the history museum, then an open air village museum outside the city, then finally the ethnography museum. City of culture indeed. Too bad I'm going to miss the theater festival, jazz festival, book festival, and documentary film festival...

Tomorrow, I'll catch a 5:30am bus to Timisoara, a town in western Romania, close to the Serbian border.

1 comment:

  1. very much appreciate your effort to put in two entries in a day. jw

    ReplyDelete