Friday, May 11, 2012

Bucharest - Day 117

The city map I got at the tourist information center included several 3 hour walking tours of the city, so as a result, I have been doing my fair share of walking. Can't say Bucharest is my favorite capital city, but it does have wide boulevards, beautiful architecture, and a lot of green space, which makes walking for hours in 88 degree heat more bearable.

I mentioned before that Bucharest is the "Paris of Eastern Europe" and today I walked by its version of the Arch of Triumph. Looks exactly the same to me, except for the Romanian flag. I also walked by the Palace of Parliament - a MASSIVE piece of architecture. It is the largest administrative building in Europe and claims to be the the world's second largest building in surface area after the Pentagon.

Of course I need fuel for all that walking and discovered that Romania has arguably the best pretzels I've tasted. They're thinner than US ones, but soft and chewy and oh so delicious when they're fresh out of the oven. And at 1 Leu (30 cents), a really affordable on-the-run snack. However, I have been on a carb overload recently in the Balkans with all the borek/byurek/spanakopita, other cheesy and sweet pastries, sesame rings, etc... and I'm pretty sure I've gained weight at this point. So I decided to go on a "strict diet" and had a cucumber and yogurt for dinner, but now 2 hours later I'm starving.


No comments:

Post a Comment