Friday, May 4, 2012

Istanbul - Days 109-110

The thing about Couchsurfing is you're constantly making and giving first impressions - like a perpetual first date, so you're always on your best behavior. The degree of trust is established within those first 24 hours...and sometimes far far less. My first couchsurfing experience was in Paris seven years ago where the host presented me with a key and left for a 3 day international conference. I couldn't believe that people still trusted each other to that degree. Of course that's an extreme example. Most of the time I am given a key but the host is typically around during the evenings. I never ask but just sit back and wait for them to offer. Sometimes the host is more cautious and ask you to work around their schedule, which is perfectly understandable. I try to do this anyway to establish some good will :)

That's what I did here in Istanbul for the first couple of days, but then apparently proved to be trustworthy enough to be left alone in the apartment (with its collection of DVDs). I took full advantage of this and spent the better part of the day cooking meals and watching movies. There is always a little nagging voice in my head that says, "You should go out and see the city!" but sometimes you just need an off day.

Today is Friday and my host gets his young daugher for the weekend so I was scrambling for a last minute couch once again, but CS came through and I am now staying at the Indian Culture Center and the Hare Karishna Temple in the center of the city. You really couldn't ask for a more convenient location - it's right on the huge pedestrian street that I mentioned in my last post. I moved my stuff over here today and walked around a bit with my host and went to happy hour at a couple of local bars. As a non-drinker, happy hours are generally a little less happy for me than other people, but it's always interesting to experience the local culture, especially in this case. He really likes the rock and roll dive bars - the dark, grungy, and smoky type. I was the only female amongst nine guys in the first bar and half of us had pony tails...there's something awfully wrong with that.

Oddly enough the culture center/temple is located on a bar street and sandwiched between two bars with live music. This being Friday evening, I can basically bet on not getting much restful sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get a pair of ear plug so you can get some sleep. wl

    ReplyDelete