Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bucharest - Days 114-116

As planned, I made the 20 hour journey to Bucharest - painless enough and uneventful. I have to admit that my favorite form of travel is by train and it saddens me a little that people are opting for faster or cheaper alternatives; myself included sometimes. The bus from Istanbul to Bucharest would have taken 12 hours versus the 20 (actually 21) by train, but there's something about the rhythmical clanking of the rail carts and the gentle swaying. The bus from Istanbul to the border was only about a third full and I ended up being the only person in a 6 person compartment when we switched to the train. 

Bucharest is a cool city, at least based on what I've seen so far. There's usually something about a place that surprises me. For Istanbul, it was how the city was so hilly and steep. For Bucharest, it's the sheer number of stray dogs roaming the streets. Bucharest has the highest number of stray dogs in Eastern Europe apparently and they are not all nice...apparently an average of 75 people are bitten everyday! My goal for the next couple of days is to avoid contributing to the statistic.

Bucharest is called the "Paris of the Eastern Europe"and it's apparent in parts of the city. It's an architecturally eclectic city. Many of the "beautiful" buildings were constructed between the two world wars and those are juxtaposed by the massive megalomaniac buildings constructed during Ceausescu's reign. Unfortunately, he destroyed much of the historic city center, and earthquakes took care of another large chunk. Today, the Old Town has shrunk to just a few blocks and up until just a few years ago, it was considered a bad neighborhood. But the city started investing money and renovating the center, and not surprisingly, it is full of bars and restaurants and is the choice hangout place for the young people of Bucharest. That's where my host and I, along with some other friends, went last night to "watch" the Europa Final in Bucharest between Madrid and Bilbao. 

Walking back to the metro station last night, some random guy pretended to be a wild dog and "bit" me on the back of the leg with his hand. Freaked me out but turned out to be quite a funny guy. The girls I was with concluded he wasn't Romanian because he was too friendly, but now I know that pretending to a stray dog is a popular Romanian past time for drunk guys. Yet another thing to avoid.  


1 comment:

  1. Don't be mean to the poor dogs- I need to move there and rescue them all! In the wild, pack animals like dogs eliminate the weak to make the pack stronger. If they see a human (to them, a large scary thing) with unassertive or erratic behavior, they become fearful. This fearful instinct drives their aggressive behavior. Also, if a dog is emaciated, he may attack as a survival mechanism if he thinks he can overpower you and have access to resources.

    ReplyDelete