Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tirana - Days 92-93

Obviously I made it to Tirana. It wasn't easy let me tell ya.

Lefkada to Tirana is about 450km, depending on which route you take, but via public transportation it took me 11 hours to get there. Kostas actually saved me a lot of trouble by driving me to Preveza, which is a town about 30 minutes away. Bus from there to Ioannina, bus again to the border town of Kakavia, walk across the border/checkpoints, minibus to Gjirokaster, minibus to Tirana, 30 minute walk in the rain to my host's apartment. Done.

My host this time is a girl named Nevila. She grew up in Tirana, teaches German at the Goethe Institute, and lives with two other girls from Kosovo and Austria. It's really nice to be surfing with girls again - hallelujah. I didn't realize it but my past 6 CS hosts have been guys, and the most recent one could really be counted as 5 guys in one since I was with his friends 24/7.

I had somewhat of a negative perception of Albania before I arrived. There are many Albanian immigrants in Greece and the Greeks are generally complaining about how they're bad people who steal, cheat, etc... I also heard the same from the Italian when I was studying abroad there years ago. However, my short time here has been nothing but positive. I asked about 8 people for help with directions last night and all but 1 were super helpful, or as helpful as they could be. One elderly man even walked with me for almost 15 minutes while sharing his umbrella. Plus, the general population here are pretty photogenic. The girl next to me on the bus looked like she stepped right out of a fashion magazine, and of course my first thought was "I wish Kostas and his friends were here to ogle."

The country is geographically beautiful, especially the southern part of the country. As I was crossing the border, there were snow-capped mountains and villages built in the foothills. My minibus to Tirana departed from Gjirokaster and I now wish I had spent a couple of days there. Today, I've been walking around town today and Tirana is not a large city. The central part is pretty compact and is a stereotypical post-Communist city. There are the quintessential communist block apartments and the large square in the center of the city with municipal buildings surrounding it and a large statue of some former hero in the middle. In the case of Tirana, it is Skanderbeg. I actually feel a familiar kinship with the Albanians because walking around certain parts of the city reminds me of my childhood growing up in Shenyang (except there are no Asians).

And things also became much more affordable.


4 comments:

  1. So glad that you made to Tirana safe and sound. Enjoy your stay there and don't let your guard down. wl

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post more pictures. I've seen some on FB, but not a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Tan Tan

    Trust all is going well for you. John wants to know if he can join you?? Take care. Keep hanging in there. Be careful.

    Love you, Libby and John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel 100% safe in Tirana. No worries!

    Chanelle, posted some pics today on FB.

    John and Libby, you are BOTH welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete