Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tel Aviv - Days 78-79

People say Tel Aviv is the anti-Jerusalem - night and day. And they're right. Just from walking around these past couple of days, I can see that Tel Aviv is a very liveable city where religion takes a backseat to modernity and hedonism. Whereas one can explore Jerusalem and the Old City for days and days, Tel Aviv lacks some of the exotic appeal and most of the "attractions" can be seen within a day or two.

On day one I inadvertently saw everything I wanted to see in the city...and I didn't even take any buses. The various museums here don't really interest me so I decided to focus on the several markets and craft fairs and also the oceanfront Promenade and Old Jaffa city. For architecture buffs, there are some cool neighborhoods here with distinctive architectural styles. For example, Sheinken Street and its surroundings are dotted with Bauhaus style buildings and tons of upscale boutique shops and al fresco restaurants.

I managed to catch an arts and crafts fair in a different neighborhood. It was absolutely buzzing with people on a Tuesday morning...who would've thought? I suppose it's partially because Passover is this Friday and people are out shopping for gifts. Most of the things were Jewish themed - hamsas, menorahs, mezuzahs, and matzah holders.

Anyway, after the madness of the market, I took a stroll along the oceanfront Promenade and enjoyed some people watching and book reading. It was a perfect, sunny, breezy, 73 degree day :) The reading didn't last long since the book was called "Extreme Rambling" and about a British man who decides to walk the entire Wall dividing Israel and Palestine. It just seemed so incongruous for the setting.

The Promenade naturally leads to Jaffa and its old city in the very South end. It is yet another city in Israel with biblical significance - shocking. In this case, it is because of the prophet Jonah and the whale. It's also where Andromeda was rescued by Perseus.

That was my first day in Tel Aviv and today I was a total bum. I read (that depressing book) in a park, window-shopped in a mall, and bought some groceries. Ask me how much hummus, shawarma, falafel, pita, and baba ganoush I've had in the past two weeks. Those items have been 95% of my diet since Dubai. Not complaining though. By the way, hummus is pronounced like "who moos" with a throaty "h."

No comments:

Post a Comment