Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lefkada - Days 86-89

I have completely forgotten what date and day of the week it is. It took me a couple of minutes to work out when I arrived here in Lefkada.

I was meant to leave Lefkada today but I'm having a little difficulty finding bus routes and schedules to Albania, and it's the Orthodox Easter this weekend so things are out of the ordinary anyway. As a result, I'm "stuck" here until Monday. Stuck in paradise - woe is me. If only the weather would cooperate!

For the past four days I've been basically walking around town and hanging out with Kostas and his friends. Me and five other guys...too much testosterone. It has been a mixture of cloud and rain everyday with the exception of one; then everyone and their mothers were out enjoying the sun. That was the day we (me, Kostas, his friend Filipa, and a British girl named Rosa) took a drive down to the southern end of the island to a place called Porto Katsiki. Google it (the water really IS that blue). The scenery blew my mind. Of course there are plenty of beautiful beaches in the world, but I think the break in crappy weather combined with the dramatic cliffs intensified the experience.

We had to descend down a flight of stairs and go around a portion of the cliff to access the beach. Of course there were waves crashing in and we had to time our run around the rock perfectly to avoid getting wet. Major fail. Everyone was wearing jeans so we futilely rolled up our jeans as high as they would go and got ready for the mad dash. You never realize how inconsistent and unpredictable waves are until you have to dodge them. Long story short, my entire bottom half was drenched. I can't even imagine how graceful I must have looked trying to run around the boulder on pebbles (they hurt!) and then being pummeled by the wave.

Small price to pay though. We basically sat on the beach and ate crackers and drank wine until the sun went down. By that time my pants were only slightly damp, but we had to make that mad dash once again and the tides had rolled in even more. Again, major fail. I don't think the others failed as miserably as I did though.

The past couple of days I've spent a lot of time with Kostas and the gang; going to cafes and bars. They are always scouting out women, so I feel slightly out of place, haha.

Happy Orthodox Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Jing Liu

    sure am glad your safe and doing well
    you write so well on your travel experiences,
    will take me quite some time to catch up, have read only a few.
    I see a book on your travel experience when you return.
    Continue to be safe and enjoy this wonderful travel experience and see ya on your return.

    Jim Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim and Ming!

    Thanks for the message :) Nice surprise on a Sunday morning.
    Looking forward to visiting you guys again!

    -Jing

    ReplyDelete