Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lefkada - Days 90-91

Still in Lefkada :)

My little travel delay turned out to be a blessing because I was able to spend Easter with a Greek family and experience the traditions. I felt guilty for intruding on their family holiday but they're so warm and generous that I felt totally included.

I went with them at Saturday/Sunday midnight to church to bring back the holy flame. I think (if I understood them correctly) the flame is from Jerusalem (maybe the Church of the Holy Sepulchre) and brought to Athens by plane and then distributed throughout Greece. Just about the entire town was out with candles to bring this flame back to their homes. Afterwards, we supposedly broke the fast by eating a soup with lamb innards.

Kostas and his friends went out drinking at 2am and I decided to pass. Call me a party pooper but I just wasn't up for the banging music, smoke, and communication barrier. They came back at 7am :)

Today we visited his cousin's family for some more lamb and innards - this time roasted over coals. The entire town was roasting whole lamb and firing off guns when it was ready to be eaten. Other than that, we did more walking, biking, and scouting for girls...

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to make it to Tirana, Albania via a series of buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment