Sunday, January 29, 2012

Clarens - Days 11-12

The past three days have felt like a mountain retreat. On Saturday Francois had to run some errands and dropped me off once again in Clarens. It was a complete 180 from my first introduction to the town on Thursday night. All the shops were open and buzzing with people. I've promised myself not to buy anything at this point so it was really nice to just browse. Although I did buy some gourmet chocolates and such for my dessert loving hosts.

They had a dinner party to attend so I stayed home alone and watched the Travel Channel, which btw actually shows all travel related programs unlike the US. Saw a preview for a show called "Third Class Traveler" about this guy backpacking everywhere and sleeping on couches ;) Oh I also docked my iPod on their sound system and had a poor man's karaoke night.

Today I did another short hike to the overhanging caves behind the hotel. It wasn't as physically demanding as climbing the buttress but really required you to be surefooted. On both hikes, I was out for about an hour and half and didn't spot a single soul. I suppose that's nice but the whole time I remembered my hosts saying there are puff adders and spitting cobras in this region. Thankfully no encounters today and I'm sure I was just being paranoid.

They have invited their friends over for a braai tonight so the carnivore in me can rejoice.

Tomorrow I will leave here and be on the road for two full days and nights so probably no more blog updates until then. Next stop: Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment