Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cape Town - Day 5

Today I was lucky enough to visit Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope at the tip of the peninsula. Contrary to belief, it's actually not precisely where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet. The currents change and the meeting point varies as well.

We left here mid morning with Emma's friend Lauren and started the 90 min drive down. Half way there, we stopped in Kalk Bay and had brunch at a bustling little cafe called Olympia Cafe.

On the way down, Lauren said she last went to Cape Point as a kid and remembers seeing the waves from the two oceans crashing together and being "quite dramatic." What a liar! The only things that were crashing were the waves against the rocks. There wasn't even a line in the ocean ;) Despite the let down, it was amazingly picturesque and also provided a good workout.

On the way back, Emma was kind enough to choose a different route so we came back by way of Chapman's Peak. Portions of it is a toll road and hugs the shoreline of the western cape. Cape Town really is a blissful blend of mountain and sea. Emma said she used to drive a portion of it on her way to work, and I made sure to reiterate how lucky she is to live in a place of such beauty.

It was almost 5pm by the time we got back and we were all a bit worn out. I opted to stay in and catch up on some stuff online. Tomorrow (if everything works out) will be my last day in Cape Town. I'll go in the morning to buy my overnight bus ticket for Johannesburg and then pack up. So long Cape Town. Thanks for showing me a good time, and I look forward to our second date.

3 comments:

  1. The famous Cape of Good Hope! I have learned the name hundreds of times at school, lol. What a significantly important historical site! I am glad you shared the trip here:) TL

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, plan to go back already? jw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked the map and that looks like a long bus trip up route 1! Can't wait to hear what's in store for you next. dg

    ReplyDelete