Wednesday, January 18, 2012

At last!

I've finally arrived in Cape Town at my Couchsurfing host's house after a 2 day stop in NYC, 7 hour flight to Frankfurt, 10 hour layover in Frankfurt, 11 hour flight to Cape Town and a miserable two hour long walk with my pack.

At first impression, Cape Town is gorgeous, sweltering, ethnically and socioeconomically diverse.

I arrived at in CPT airport a little after 10am and caught a direct airport shuttle to the city center (53 Rand, approx. $7). It must have been quite a recent addition to their public transportation system because it was pristine and quite modern (and my host confirmed later). From that short 15-20 minute ride, I could really see the disparity among the population. The bus passed by townships where homes were constructed basically out of metal sheets or even cardboard. There also seemed to be nicer townships where homes were set up in similar ways but constructed out of concrete. Hopefully I'll get to visit a township in the coming days and see them up close.

After the bus dropped us off in the city center, I had to walk around town a little bit with my luggage since my host wasn't going to be home until 2pm. Central Cape Town or "City Bowl" as they call it is quite happening. Several pedestrian streets with cafes and shops and independent vendors. It actually really reminded me of Boulder's Pearl Street but about 30 degrees hotter...

By the time I arrived at my host family's house, I was soaked with sweat, caked with dirt, and I even couldn't stand my own stench. What a first impression right? I apologized profusely, chit chatted for 2 minutes, and headed straight for the shower. At least now I'm feeling myself again, except for my sleep deprivation headache and my face that's already 2 shades darker.

My host, Emma, is also currently hosting another surfer from Argentina by way of Italy and Spain. He (David) has been surfing since September '11 on various couches around the city because he loves it here so much and never left. Now he is looking to get a work visa and find a job in Cape Town. But with a country that's facing 25% unemployment rate (so I read on the plane), that's presented quite a challenge.

Anyway, Emma and I took a little drive out to her mother's place in Camps Bay (on the Atlantic ocean) to visit some of her relatives who are here on holiday from London. The drive was gorgeous! From everywhere in the city Table Mountain is visible and all of a sudden we hit a bend and we're at the seaside and cliffs on the Atlantic Ocean. Her family owns a rental property a little ways from the beach and we said hi to everyone and sat by the pool until it was time to leave. As I type, David the semi-Italian is making yellow pepper and onion pasta for us. Not bad for a first day in Cape Town!

4 comments:

  1. hey,
    So happy to see this relatively long, informative blog! Rest well!
    jw

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds fantastic! glad to see that you are safe and having an interesting time so far :) try to post pics too! .eyc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, want to see the pics of the place! Have a good night and get ready for your second day!! TL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally an explanation for why you're darker in all your travel photos - you're allergic to fun!
    dg

    ReplyDelete