Thursday, May 19, 2011

Moscow metro





















Came across this Russian blog featuring photos of the Moscow subway system taken with wide-angle lenses. Everything is written in the Cyrillic alphabet so I have no idea what the captions say. Some (like the one above) are quite ornate and others are more akin to modern day subway stations seen elsewhere. I've always wanted to pay a visit to Russia to soak in the Soviet architecture, take the epic 7 day trans-Siberian railway journey, and of course to visit its famed metro system. It's supposedly the second most heavily used rapid transit system after Tokyo, and some places run 86 meters or 276 feet below ground!

However, I'm guessing this trip I have conjured up in my head will have to stay there for a while given the unrest and violence in Russia these days. The metro has always been a target for suicide bombings and political protest. The most recent bombing was in March 2010 and killed around 40 people. To be honest, that wouldn't stop me from visiting, but the anti-racist attacks definitely make me think twice. Anyone who are not ethnically Russian are at risk, and there have been reports of acid attacks and stabbings to Muslims, Jews, Central Asians, Chinese, Africans, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment