Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Minimalism

My lease ends in a couple of weeks and I will be subletting a friend's place for the summer months while she goes back home. In preparation for the move, I've been selling off a lot of my belongings. All of my furniture have been claimed (futon, night stands, giant bean bag chair, bookshelf, etc...) with the exception of a damn pair of red side tables - I shall remain optimistic. I've also sold some electronic gadgets, used books, gently used clothing, and my electric guitar. This was actually all before I stumbled upon a few minimalist blogs.

They all basically extol the same principle: free yourself from materialistic possessions. Of course, they practice it in varying degrees. One woman has only a mattress on the floor and two chairs in her minimalist apartment <-- I'm not there yet; don't ever plan to be. To be fair, it's not entirely about possessions and anti-consumerism. The idea is to free yourself from all societal expectations and pressures.

I'm by far not an expert since I only recently discovered this whole blogosphere devoted to the practice. However, I CAN definitely say it has its virtues. There's something very liberating about being able to fit all of your belongings in a couple of suitcases or one car. Plus the apartment is less cluttered, easier to clean, and things don't get lost very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment