Friday, May 13, 2011

10 constants of air travel

I just read an article (again, on the Matador website) about the 10 constants of air travel. Not all of their comments I agree with, but all of them I've encountered.

  1. The seat hogger: these people are everywhere; guaranteed to be on at least one of the legs of your flight. The worst one I encountered was actually a teenage girl who elbowed me *hard* in the ribs when I was sleeping.
  2. The breakfast sausage: what can I say, I like airplane food - sausages included. Most of the time I'm just happy to be getting any kind of food at all!
  3. The nasty flight attendant: "May I have a blanket?" "We're out"
  4. The too-nice flight attendant: lots of "honey" and touching of the shoulder
  5. The bathroom hogger: I once had to get up 5x for someone during a 3 hour flight.
  6. The annoying child: 'tis the reason why invested in noise-cancelation headphones. For anyone who knows me, that's a huge investment.
  7. The snorer: see #6
  8. The movie you really want to see but can't hear: in my case it's the movie I really want to see but can't SEE. Yes, even as late as 2010, I took an international flight without the inflight entertainment system.
  9. Faux orange juice: see #2
  10. The bizarre neighbor: sure, sometimes they're bizarre and too chatty, but other times you can score the flight neighbor lottery. I met the most interesting girl once when I was 16 and on a flight to France. She was Greek, 22-ish, a naval architect, last one to board, and was in a huge faux/real fur coat. I still remember her name after 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment