Thursday, July 19, 2012

Copenhagen - Days 183-185

I arrived in Copenhagen at 7am completely sleep-deprived and a bit loopy. I normally do okay on overnight bus rides; maybe it was the light or the free wifi onboard, but I managed to catch only 2 hours of sleep. The 30 minute walk to my host's place definitely helped and she was waiting for me with a cup of morning coffee :)

Copenhagen is one of the coolest cities I've visited. It has a very laid-back and chill vibe, but with an undercurrent of energy that can bust through at any time. In my opinion, it combines all the positive things of other Scandinavian capitals and thensome. It has canals and waterways throughout the city, a historic city center, an obsession for good design, and progressive architecture. Plus, it may be the best city for biking in the world (but Amsterdam might disagree). Apparently around 40% of Copenhagen's citizens commute by bike, and it's quite obvious. Just about every street has a dedicated bike lane of respectable width and you can't be in the city without being surrounded by at least a dozen bikes. Of course everyone looks chic and effortless and there are bikes of all kinds. Cruisers, fixed-gear, mountain bikes, ones with baby seats, one with a wagon in the back, ones with a wheelbarrel in the front, etc... Rush hour is a sight to behold :)

I also partook in the biking culture by grabbing one of the many free bikes that Copenhagen puts out during the summer season. There are various stations throughout the city, and all it takes is a 20 Kroner deposit which you get back when you return the bike to any of the stations. Sounds great in theory but most of the stations end up not having any bikes (because there are so many darn tourists) and I lost my 20 Kroner coin (I suspect it was all the cobblestone roads). Nevertheless, it's fun and easy to ride through such a city.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of city! I hope biking there hasn't been as unbearably hot as it has been in Dayton. Looking forward to your next post.

    -DG

    ReplyDelete