Friday, February 24, 2012

Nairobi - Days 37-39

I had typed up this long update on my phone and lost it all! ^*+!*•*$@!

So I had intended to breeze through Nairobi on my way to Addis, but due to my procrastination, I could only get a flight for Friday. Three full days in Nairobi. It turned out to be a blessing because I met some rad people and got to unwind a bit. The city is nicer than I expected. The main boulevards are wide, there is enough green space, and it offers many of the modern conveniences and diversity that the other cities have lacked. Plus I had my first truly hot shower since South Africa.

In terms of sightseeing, I spent some time at the national museum and also the national archives. Saw tons of tribal artifacts and also numerous dead animals. There was one room with thousands of dead stuffed birds...a bit unnerving. But the highlight was probably the bones of prehistoric humanoids discovered in the region. We all know Africa is the cradle of mankind and they really advertise this fact.

In addition to the museums I have met some of the most amazing people here. Back in Zanzibar I met an American dude on the ferry. He is a journalist:/photographer based in Nairobi. Jonathan Kalan -look him up! So I emailed him to see if he could locate a couch for me and he definitely came through. I ended up staying with two girls named Renee and Poppy. Renee is an administrator at an art collective and Poppy is a 16 year old Kenyan-Brit on a gap year. Their extended circle is ridiculous and a who's who of awesomeness. There is a team of guerilla filmmakers making a documentary on camel milk, a TEd fellow, a cofounder of Sandbox (network of super connectors), cofounder of Kickstart, etc... I just hope some of their brilliance and ingenuity rubs off on me.

I leave for Addis tonight at 3:30am and will take the airport bus and hang out there for 7 hours... But I'm first meeting another girl I met in Zanzibar for dinner.

I've been told there is nothing in Addis or Ethiopia in general; we shall see. At least there is authentic Ethiopian food and coffee so i should be quite content.

Sidenote: I watched "The Vow" in the theater last night haha. Nothing life changing but a pleasant distraction and reminder of home.

1 comment:

  1. you are seriously meeting the coolest folks. (i haven't even seen the vow yet!) .eyc.

    ReplyDelete