Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dar es Salaam and Arusha - Days 27 - 30

Yesterday marked my one month of travel. In some ways it has passed really quickly, but I also feel like I've been away for a year. There are definitely bits and pieces of my old life that I miss. i.e. bagels and cream cheese, watching random documentaries on Netflix, free water, AC, hot shower, unlimited and unrestricted texting/calling, etc... But I'm not complaining, it's been nothing short of incredible. How long I can sustain this is another question. Six months is no problem, but my CS host told me about this 21 year Vietnamese girl she met who has been traveling for a year and half and has another year to go. Hats off to her! I couldn't, or wouldn't, want to do this for two years. So don't worry mom, I'll return soon and live a "normal" life ;)

I think my last entry left off at Zanzibar and the last night of the festival. Once again, my friend snuck me in for the local rate (hallelujah) and I stayed until about 1am (early) watching performances from Zanzibari, South African, and Tanzanian artists. Let me just say this: these people can MOVE like no other. It was like attending an open-air strip club without the actual stripping. So on my last night in Zanzibar, I've left with images of gyrating hips.

The next day I caught a ferry back to Dar es Salaam and took a motorcycle taxi to my hosts' apartment. Well, she wasn't home at the time, so I stayed at a nearby upscale hotel per her instuctions. There I was sitting in the lobby with my grungy backpack and wild hair amidst businessmen in suits and vacationing Europeans. One of these is not like the others... I just sat and read the complimentary newspaper :)

My host, Gwynneth, picked me up after a couple of hours. She is Canadian of half Chinese and half Welsh descent, and has lived in various African countries for the past 8 years working for the UN and other NGOs. How this allows her to live in a penthouse apartment with a GIANT wrap-around veranda is beyond me, but I won't question it. I stayed there for two nights and caught a bus to Arusha yesterday. Again, a 9 hour turned 12 hour bus ride.

Arusha is located in northern Tanzania and is the base for most of the northern circuit safaris. About an hour away is the town of Moshi, which is the base for most Kilimanjaro hikes. I swallowed my budget and handed over four bills today for a three day safari leaving tomorrow. I won't go as far as the Serengeti but will visit the Ngorongoro Crater and a couple of other nearby national parks.

That means no internet or updates until next week.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for your special note to me :) I am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete