Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Saving the planet one car at a time

One of my favorite things in the world is a very pedestrian city with a well-developed public transit system, especially subways and metros. NYC, Boston, Vancouver, Paris, Singapore, Munich....are just a few that come to mind. It's healthier for the environment, healthier for your body, and healthier for your bank account.

Of course, you can only carry so much and go so far with public transit. What if you wanted to make an IKEA run or if you're under a time crunch? There's always Zipcar. But I recently found out about a couple of other nice alternatives such as relayrides.com and getaround.com. These websites allow you to borrow cars anywhere from an hour up to a day directly from other car owners. Everything (gas, insurance, mileage) is included. Personally, they're more appealing than Zipcar because there's no annual fee and the cars are scattered throughout the city. Also, you can decide specifically which car you want. There are some 'exotic' cars on there, albeit for the appropriate 'exotic' charge. I saw a red Tesla convertible...just saying!

I can't take advantage of this in little Oxford, Ohio, but as soon as I'm moving to a larger city it's bubye car!

1 comment:

  1. Who would trust someone to drive their exotic car? I'm not sure I trust a stranger to drive one of the Foci!

    ReplyDelete